Content

This blog is not about any one topic. It is about the many things the interest me and places I've been. It's about Travel, Bikes, Photography, Fly Fishing, Nature, Scenery, Projects, Genealogy, etc (the order of importance changes constantly!). Usually whatever is currently occupying my mind and time. Maybe something for everyone....or not!

Sunday, February 12, 2012

A bucket of rust (& grease)!

For those of you who might be following my progress on my bike resurrections, I thought I'd post a 'before' photo montage of Nellie (thx Marie for the name), before I tore her apart for her revival.  I won't say how much I paid for her, but it was less than $100.  She probably wasn't worth what I paid, in hindsight, with the amount of  'wear' on her.  There are a couple of very small spots that do have internal rust (visible by the 'bubbling' appearance under the paint).  But, she's still salvagable and at least I probably only overpaid a little!   And, it was local, saving me postage or transportation costs.

The chainguard's "Raleigh" logo helps identify it within the '69 - '71 age range, as well as other photo's found online.
Raleigh's Heron Chainwheel and cottered cranks.

The Ubiquitous Sturmey Archer 3-speed shifter. The hand grips were also split. I will be replacing them with cork grips that I shellac myself (You Tube DIY shellacked cork grips by rivbike.com, or Lovely Bike).
Sturmey Archer Speedy Switch for the Sturmey Archer internal hub 3-speed.











The grease on the rear hub was sooooo thick! Gotta get rid of that child seat (black brackets visible)!
Rear wheel mount, internal gear hub with indicator chain & lock nut.

The Sturmey Archer AW hub doesn't have a date stamp in the usual place. There is a '7' and a '2' but they are not together. They are below the Sturmey Archer logo, but the 7 is under, and to the right of the AW, and the 2 is roughly centered below "Archer". The numbers are small and not visible in this photo. They are also not heavily stamped, so they are faint. Therefore, I don't know if this indicates a year manufacture for the hub or something else. Comments gladly accepted!
What will soon be a beautiful Sturmey Archer AW 3-speed hub. 

The front of the forks are also covered with what appears to be old asphalt tar! The paint under the missing Raleigh logo illustrates the fading of the finish. I'm hoping to rehabilitate the paint somewhat using Wax-Shops "Safe-Cut". The darker green stipe below the logo is where gold pin striping used to be. This is evident throughout the bike; fenders, chaincase, and the frame. The gold is long gone except for where stickers covered it!
Front brake calipers, top of forks with remnants of the Raleigh logo sticker.

The brake cables and housing are in poor condition and will be replaced as I intend to ride this bike (safety first)!
Front forks and brake calipers

The pedals are in fairly good shape and should clean up pretty well. Surprising how similar they are to the Schwinn pedals of the era. Some websites state that Schwinn copied several of Raleighs designs! Or, it could be they used the same suppliers (Germany, Switzerland, France) perhaps.
Raleigh pedals

Not sure what this is made of.   It is a little rough, and will have to try a couple of methods to see what will revive it!   It is bolted on with a clamp that has been tightened so hard it made dents in the frame!
Love the shape of this kickstand.  Even has the Raleigh logo in relief.

The Brooks B72 Saddle is beyond repair. I'm currently looking for a leather worker to try to make a new cover. I've searched Craigslist for a B67, but have not found one. If I can't recover this one, or find a suitable used replacement, I'll be replacing it with a new Brooks B67s when I can cover the cost (around $100-140, depending on where I get it)!
Sadly, this Brooks B72 saddle is unsalvagable. 
 
The pulley on men's bikes are located on the top tube, but with no top tube on ladies bikes, it is clamped onto the bottom of the seat tube.  The gray stuff seems to be asphalt tar.
Pulley for the 3-speed cable is plastic.  I think this gray stuff (which is on many other parts) is ancient road tar.
Come back in next week to view progress, as I've already begun tear down, clean & polish, and reassembly!

No comments: