Content

This blog is not about any one topic. It is about the many things the interest me and places I've been. It's about Travel, Bikes, Photography, Fly Fishing, Nature, Scenery, Projects, Genealogy, etc (the order of importance changes constantly!). Usually whatever is currently occupying my mind and time. Maybe something for everyone....or not!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

My latest acquisition!

I'd been looking at new comfort hybrid/commuter bikes for about a month.  But I just couldn't bring myself to pay the $400-$600 price tag.  So, yesterday took our trailer to Vacaville to have the heater fixed at Camping World and decided to wander over to Davis while we waited.  Davis is a college town, a Bike City USA and has lots of bike shops.  I wanted to check out the Green Bicycle Depot which only sells used bikes.  I had my eye on one they posted on their facebook page, but ended up with a Schwinn Suburban.  I thought it was a mid 80's, but got home, ran the serial number online, and found out it is older than the Collegiate!  Turns out it is a June 1970.  Dang, I wanted to convert it to a usable bike, rather than keeping it original.  Now I have a dilemma, should I go ahead and just clean, wash and use it, or do another resto?!

3 comments:

adventure! said...

Good question! If it were me, I would go more towards making it a functional bike for you rather than a restoration. Schwinn Suburbans are quite ubiquitous and not really collectible. If you wanted to, you could probably find another Suburban in original condition.

Treehugger ;) said...

After much deliberation, I think I'm going to make it functional, but am going to keep the original paint as it is for awhile. In another 20 yrs, someone might thank me for that!

Treehugger ;) said...
This comment has been removed by the author.